View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 06:42 AM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BeverlyH
I sell on eBay through my store. Never start so low. It will only take 25 Cent increments and you will never reach the $40.00. If you look in the seller details, it explains how much a bid will increase per the starting price. I learned this the hard way. By the way, what is the machine? I am kind of looking. I know too that $40.00 is just about the right shipping expense. Good luck!
This isn't quite right. If all the bidders just look at the existing bid and bid 25 cents higher, then you're right. However if they bid what they're willing to pay, and let the eBay automatic bidding mechanism do its job, then the bids will go up quickly in value. Example: Minimum bid is 75 cents. Bidder 1 is willing to go up to $10 so he bids $10 maximum. The bid is still at 75 cents. Bidder 2 is willing to go to $15, so he bids $15 maximum. The bid jumps to $10.25 with bidder 2 having the top bid. You can get to $40 in no time if your bidders think $40 is a good price that they are willing to pay. However... if your reserve price is $40, why make them start at a buck? Why not just put it out there as a minimum? Then the guy who only wants to pay $10 will know right away that he needs to continue looking.