Old 08-27-2011, 11:57 AM
EnjoyMyQuilting

Originally Posted by katcox
I'm also inspired , can you please tell exactly what type of wood and how big, and what kind of paint did you use. I have ideas and have heard from others, but you actually did one. What is your advice? mine will be going on my new storage shed out back.
Thanks
The name of my block is Mariners Compass. I searched online or in books for an easy design, one that didn't have alot of detail. Painting alot of detail is tough, as it needs about 3 coats of paint. And in my search, I came across a site that recommended using exterior grade plywood. Altho, I didn't. They recommended two coats of primer. And I used gloss latex paint. I gave my design 3 coats of paint. Then you need to protect it with a good quality of exterior polyeurathane. Spar Varnish is great. Give it two or three coats of finish. My husband used screws to put on the barn.
I chuckeled to myself after I chose this pattern because we had a very wet spring and we thought it would never end. I imagined my Mariners Compass barn quilt would be a guide for those sailing by on their Ark!! ;-)