View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM
reeskylr

I had started this lap quilt 2 years ago, which just goes to show how things can go in life and also waiting for the 'right time' to finish something. I am not very good at machine quilting, I love piecing tops though. I don't do hand quilting well either. So...I ended up dragging this out as his birthday is next week. I figured I'll tie it.

My first problem was finding a spot to lay the thing. It's not huge, but it is bigger than the oval table with the middle insert and I wanted something square. I headed downstairs and found a quarter inch plywood piece and brought it back up and laid it on one of those fold up card tables.

I tossed the wool tartan fabric across it first and smoothed it out. Then I put down the quilt batting (which is the iron on kind, btw) -- then the quilt top. After smoothing it all out, I discovered I had these plastic clamps, which work PERFECT. So I pulled it tight, smoothed it out and began clamping the edges. I ironed it across the middle close to the edges, added a few safety pins for back up and sat down and started tying with yarn. My fingers a little sore from that needle pushing, but it is coming along really well so far. I hope others can pick up some tips from all my working to figure this out! :)

My can o' clamps
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247517[/ATTACH]

Clamps in place
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247518[/ATTACH]

More clamps in place
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247519[/ATTACH]

Tying areas
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247523[/ATTACH]

Starting to look like a real quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247524[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247511.jpe   attachment-247512.jpe   attachment-247513.jpe   attachment-247517.jpe   attachment-247518.jpe