Thread: Question!!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 04:01 PM
arimuse

if a parent had to sign over property/ money for service I think the estate owes the payback. If you did not co sign anything they are your parents bill and no one can force you to cover them. if there was no agreement between provider and the parent they may have to sue the estate if you do not want to settle with them -
If a collection agent calls and tries to get you to pay, and tells you you owe, and you tell them you will pay you just bought the bill. (if you make an agreement over the phone to pay any amt and it wasnt yours to pay you have now agreed to pay)
before you say or sign anything with/ for anyone talk to a lawyer, each state has its own rules on this

also, if your name is on a credit card or mortgage make sure you have the clause in place that states the debt at the time one of the persons dies is cancelled and the survivor does not owe. when my husband died the mortgage was foregiven and also, a cc I was trying to pay off (he had the most owed on it) had that clause and I pd most of it before I found the pepers that said the debt was gone! of course, they did not give back what I pd on it!!