View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 04:47 PM
COYOTEMAGIC

Billy Graham museum is a little further over in Charlotte. I haven't been but I hear it's really nice. Either end of the road it is on is not the best neighborhood, keep your doors locked if you have to stop at a light.

Schiele also has a planetarium and outdoor exhibit of the Catawba Indians which are native to the area. On weekends they have outdoor workshops.

In center city Charlotte is the NASCAR Hall of Fame. It's easiest to park outside of town and ride the train in.

A bit further in Charlotte is the Carolina Raptor Center. Weekends have outdoor volunteer speakers that tell you a lot about the birds that are there. There is a beautiful Bald Eagle exhibit of birds who have been injured and unable to be released. They have even had chicks hatch that they have released.
Latta Plantation is also at that park. Old plantation home exhibit of by-gone days. Again, weekends have people there to walk you through the house and explain things.

There is a nature walk out along the river/Mountain Island lake. Sometimes you can spot raptors that have been released from the center.

About 30miles away up in Concord is the Speedway and lots of race teams garages where you can do tours.

Also in that area is Concord Mills. Concord used to be a big mill town but that went the way of NAFTA. Their largest company was Cannon. aka Cannon towels, sheets, etc.... Corncord Mills is a big shopping mall with lots of outlet shops and Bass Pro shop for your husband.

I don't know if you will be coming in on I-85 or I-40. I-85 there is a big outlet mall in Gaffney, SC. The Crackel Barrel there is really nice. I-40 there is a fabric place around Swanannoa. You'll see signs for it. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Enjoy!!