Thread: Question!!
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 06:15 PM
OHSue

Originally Posted by quilterj
Originally Posted by serenitybygrace
My dad's will states that the bills would be paid first. Do you have a will? Do you have a lawyer? You may have to probate the will. A lot depends on the state you live in.
No my mom didn't have any kind of will or lawyer. She didn't have any kind of money or estate. She lived with my sister (or I should say my sister and her family has lived with her all her life and took care of my mom. Not the my mom needed help of any kind.) My mom hadn't worked in over 15 years. And she collected my dads ss. She didn't work and the only thing that my mom had was the trailer that they live in. Which is nothing fancy and needs some work. Someone told my sister that as long as we didn't want their home she was to transfer the title to her name. Like I said she only has a life insurance and just within the last couple years got that. So I am wondering if the bills need to be paid or will they be wrote off?
I do think that if your sister gets the home, no matter what the value, there will be some estate taxes that might need paid for that. And if the mobile home's value may be used to collect money owed. But before things get out of hand, get in touch with the folks the money is owed to, let them know your circumstances. Hospitals can write off portions of bills, they do it all the time. When my MIL moved to a nursing home we contacted all the folks she owed money to and made them an offer for a portion saying this was all she had and would no longer have an income, every single one of them, many doctors, two hospitals accepted our offer. I suppose in her circumstances we could have let her money dwindle away and let it go, but we felt obligated. When she passed she had no money so we took care of all funeral expenses out of our pocket, but she lived in a small town and it was much less than expected.