View Single Post
Old 06-17-2009, 09:29 AM
pittsburgpam

Talk about coincidences… my oldest daughter just called me about a problem her fiancé is having with his brother. Their grandfather has always let it be known that his estate will go to the two brothers (skipping their father). Well, the grandfather’s wife tried to shoot him (such drama!) so the brother has stepped in and is suddenly the grandfather’s best friend and is helping him change his will. He has told her fiancé that he has put himself on every account and changed the will so that HE is the sole inheritor and decides who gets what. He is acting like a braggart, taunting basically, that he gets everything and will give her fiancé what he thinks he should have.

I told my daughter for one thing, talk to the grandfather directly and find out the truth. Make sure he isn’t being pushed into anything and if there is any hint that he is then it could be considered elder abuse. If the brother is the executor as he says he is then he has legal responsibility to execute the will as it was intended and they can sue him if he doesn’t.

The brother also said that he was going to take the cash and invest it, even roll it over into long term CDs BEFORE he gives it to him. I told her that the executor has a fiduciary responsibility to not put that money at risk too.