View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 06:13 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

This is sort of a quilt, I guess. My daughter in law wanted to continue the bug theme in Sam's room on his big boy bed, but we couldn't find the Pottery Barn original anymore. So, I cut all those bugs off his crib bed skirt and bumper pads. then I couldn't find the right kind of fabric. I'm always on a quest for something. I was in Ikea about a month ago and saw the perfect fabric, except it was a duvet cover. So I got it and cut it apart. Then I debated about making squares or just stitching them and the stripes (also picked off the crib skirt) to the top, with invisible thread. What a job. The bugs had yarn antennae. Invisible thread is, well, invisible. After I did that, I made the quilt sandwich using warm and natural. Then I had to quilt around each of the bugs, this time using thread to match, and do more straight quilting. I did this on my dinky Brother mechanical which gave me no problems at all. Then bound in the lime green. He loves it. I worked on the binding while they were visiting, and he sat with me, chatting, then when it was done and I washed and dried, he played with it on the floor. He was so happy with it, which made it all worthwhile. He is 3 1/2.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-247911.jpe