View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 09:07 AM
kit'smamma

I don't think my kids, now in their 50s, ever had a civics class and they both have master's degrees, one in occupational therapy and the other in molecular biology. Shortly after getting an A in world geography in middle school the elder asked me where Norway is. I nearly wept. It's even worse today. When I was in the 8th grade in a fairly rural school district in NY I had a good exposure to the US constitution and long before I went to law school I knew all about the separation of powers (which gets more and more muddled these day regretably)the electoral college, the bill of rights and most of the other contents. When I went to law school with a bunch of kids fifteen years my junior when I was in my late 30s I had a real leg up. They are too busy teaching stuff that parents should have taught long before their children started school, like it's a no-no to bully others expecially if they are weaker in any way than you. ARRGH the parents of this society must belly up to the bar about ethics and sex when it's appropriate. The notion of right and wrong should come with mother's milk.