Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM
nanjam62

Originally Posted by kim_s
Originally Posted by nanjam62
We have a prayer quilt ministry at our church for cancer patients. We make quilts & put ties in them that are tied in our church atrium between Sunday services. We have been doing this for 5 years & just tied our 300th quilt. Since we meet one evening a month we don't really get much done. It seems like it is time to clean up about the time we get started. I have tried to look on church websites to see how often they meet & for how long but can't seem to get much info. Do any of you belong to church groups or other groups that could offer suggestions on meetings, how often & length?
I am a member of the quilt ministry at my church. We meet every Monday from 9-2. Myself and another girl are co-leaders so we spend a lot of time helping the other members to get quilts completed so we (just the 2 of us) will sometimes meet on another day so we can sew and work on our quilts.

Our day consists of us co-leaders getting there earlier so we can have time to pray together. We usually wait for everyone to arrive to make announcements, etc. Before lunch we break and have prayer time where we tie the quilts that are ready to delivered and then we also pray for our own petitions.

We also have special requests, like we just had a mission team come back from Ethiopia where they handed out a dozen quilts that we completed along with wheel chairs. We also are partnering with a church in Alabama and have made quilts for them to pass out to members who needed prayer. We also make Soldier Prayer Squares for church members who have military family and friends who are being deployed. It's an awesome ministry to be a part of, as you probably already know! That's awesome that you have completed 300 quilts!

God bless you and your ministry,
Kim
We have had our meetings in the evening because so many girls work that like to be a part of it. We are going to discuss our options at our Sept meeting & we may need to have some day meetings to get more done & keep our monthly evening meeting for prayer & making kits like meemersmom suggested. This has been a wonderful experience and all of the girls feel so blessed to be a part of it. It seems the requests come in clusters & when we have so many at one time we really have to hit it to fill all the requests...We filled 22 requests in 6 weeks last winter & they were all in serious condition...having a bit of surplus inventory would be such a relief!! lol

We have had a couple of Saturday events to try to catch up. A couple of years ago we had an all day Saturday Learn to quilt seminar. It was well attended, we had a great time but we didn't get any quilters out of it. I am thinking about asking a couple of quilt shops if they would come to the church & teach a class.

Thanks for your help. I love that you are doing the squares for the soldiers. Wish we had time to start that.