View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 05:37 PM
heyjami

I'm a new quilter and I sincerely did my best on every single block I sent out. A few were extra challenging. Almost every single block required some sort of re-sew. There are a few exchangers that received 2 blocks from me because I completely remade them.

I looked at the picture of your block after this note was posted - horrified that I might have sent you a block before my quilter's eyesight sharpened enough to catch any errors (I'll bet there will be a time in the future where I will see even more errors).

I made you a St Louis Star 2. I was proud of it. It's very possible that tiny bits of paper were left in the back of it since I have now learned to really get every piece out. And, I learned to use smaller stitches with my microtex needle to keep the stitches nice and tight even after removing the paper. It's possible that I didn't know this when I did your block.

I sewed it and showed my children (ages 7 & 9) and my husband. They were complimentary. I too like the old fashioned calico.

Anyway, just wanted to apologize and let you know that I really did try my best. Next time I do that block I'll even do a better job at fussy cutting so the floral shows up better.

I'm also learning about contrast (which I had zero concept of before last week) - but I'm happy to see that the contrast for your block is good. Complete accident! ;-) I still am trying to wrap my head around that whole concept.

I'm also wondering if I messed up my block to you with my pressing. Honestly, I have no idea. I think I had a hard time with the center.

You know that block that shows here in my profile? One of the points is cut off (I'm noticing now that I'm scrutinizing my earlier blocks). And it was for a boom partner. But I didn't even know about that flaw when I lovingly made it and sent it. :-)

I tried my best, acknowledged every block & F8, and completed them on time to the best of my ability.

I'm just anxious to get my grownups back so I can piece my quilt! But now I'm thinking of doing the QAYG with these and in that case I can start now and not worry about what comes in the next 2-3 weeks.

Take care, hope I didn't disappoint you with my exchange.

Originally Posted by pattis47
Ladies,
The thing that bothers me more is the poor workmanship of some of the blocks I have received. The corners/intersections are more than 3/8" off or the points of the 1/2 square triangles are gone before I even try to add sashing. It just seems to me that if you are able to choose a block pattern, you would do one that you can accomplish in fine style. And when you sign up you would take the time to do the block correctly prior to stuffing it in an envelope and being one of the 1st to send out your completed blocks.
It all starts with the cutting. If you are not accurate, you will never get a good block. If you cut it wrong, put it in your scrap pile and cut another one. Don't sew a 1/2" strip to it to make it fit and think I won't notice. If you cut on the bias, your square will probably not be square unless you are very experienced and know how to work w/bias cuts. When it is cut on the bias it stretches and you get odd measurements. And equally as important is the final pressing, and please note I didn't say ironing, because there is a difference. If you iron a perfectly square block, you can iron it out of shape by stretching it.
St Louis Star 2 for patti47 made by heyjami
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248298[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248292.jpe