View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 04:09 AM
Grama Chris

Originally Posted by stitchengramie
My 6 year old grandson whats me to teach him how to sew so he can make a quilt. I am afraid to let him use the sewing machine. Is there such a thing as a kids sewing machine? Is quilting also a boy thing?
I have 3 GK's that started when they were 6 & they LOVE it. They start on a piece of paper w/drawn lines, circles, sqs (to pivot) & sew under the mchn w/no thread. After that they draw their own patterns & lines, etc. this gets them used to sewing straight (kind of). We start an easy project like, pin cushion (for them-own colors), pot holders (just 3 pieces), pillow cases (tube style), beach bags. When they feel confident enough they design their own lounging quilt for whatever use & then onto a bed quilt. My 7 yr old (at that time) had 2 quilts in a quilt show. I also teach them the safety issues on ironing, L hand behind you, iron (steam) facing away, hope this helps you, they will have FUn, let them work at their own pace & as a Grama you'll be so PROUD, like me. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: OH, I forgot 2 are boys :lol: :lol: :lol: