View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 06:28 AM
Yarn or Fabric

I'm going to be moving in a few months - only a few miles away from where I live now - but I'll be getting a much MUCH bigger craft room (yay!!!) and I want to raise up a table for my cutting.

The table legs are square metal. They fit perfectly inside of a 1 1/4" pvc pipe. We were going to cut the pipe in the right lengths and just slip the legs in so that they're completely covered up and you'd only see the pipe - I know, ugly but functional.

My father in law is a plumber and he is able to cut that pipe perfectly so that they'll be nice and even and the ends would be smooth... however I thought it would be best to have the end of the pipe that would be touching the carpet capped so that they are perfectly smooth on the bottom....
My father in law said he didn't think that would be necessary... what do you guys think? I'm so tempted to just put the legs on some of those carpet sliders but then I don't really want to have it sliding every time I go to cut on it but then that might not be the case either. It's a really heavy metal and formica desk. I love love love these desks - and now I'll have 4 of them!

I called several plumbing supply stores and was unable to find flat caps anywhere in town that fit a 1 1/4" pvc pipe. I did find it for 1 1/2" pipe but that would mean a bigger pipe. I did find round caps for it but that seemed off to me. I don't think you'd want your table sitting on a round cap. Table legs are flat on the bottom - not round.... It will be sitting on a carpeted floor btw not that I think that matters. I know. I'm making this harder than it ought to be.

I know there will be a lot of people who suggest just using bed risers and not even bother with the pvc pipe but I didn't want the bulky bottoms since the risers are wider at the base and all. I can just picture me tripping over it - or my clumsy friend... I have a friend who I sew with a lot and she is REALLY clumsy. Literally trips over her own feet on occasion and I can see her walking in to bed risers... So I'm thinking of not going the easy route lol.

What do you guys think?