Old 08-29-2011, 06:43 AM
ashgrover

Originally Posted by harrold48
Hi, found and now lost on net a pattern for a free Christmas octagon topper. It used 4 different pieces of Christmas material joined together and then cut on the 60 degree angle. The 4 separate pieces were then sewn together to make an octagon. Border was a plain piece. Have searched like crazy but cannot find it again. Have material, need pattern. Anyone know it, please.
Thanks muchly.
Here are directions for another table topper. I have made them in all sizes and fabrics. Make one out of muslin first to get the idea or if your brave just do what I do and jump right in. You control the size by the size of the square and the strips. I like to cut mt square 14 inches for my table remember it grows I have cut them larger. Cut your SQUARE of fabric for the center, fold in half on the DIAGONAL , then fold on the diagonal TWO more times for a total of three folds. Next measure the shortest FOLDED side. If you statred with a 14 in square it will measue 7 inches. Next measuer that distance on the longest folded side from the bottom up and mark. Lay your ruler from that mark up to the top corner edge and cut off. This will be at an angle Be sure you are cutting off only raw edges not FOLDED. LOL ask me how I know. Now you have the center that is cut in an octagon. Cut strips in any width you want to finish the next two rounds. I used 1 1/2 and 3 1/2 half for most of mine. Also cut 1 1/2 inch strips for binding. To assemble lay the narrow strip right sides together on your center piece and leave a good tail on each end and sew a 1/4 in seam. do EVERY OTHER edge and then press each strip out. This is very important to keep your shape.
Now do the rest of the strips on that round of strips and press out. Now that all the strips of that round are sewn and pressed out you can now cut the excess off of that round of strips. Now do the next round still sewing every other strip and pressing those out and then sewing the rest of the strips on that round. Layer top with batting and backing. I usually sew a little design in the center of my narrow strip. Now take your binding strips and sew them on in the same way, every other one and press put and then sew the rest of that round on and press out and trim off exsess. Tack down binging on the back like on a quilt.
You can sandwich batting and backing and top and leave an opening to turn it and sew around but I did one that way and didn't like it. This may be about as clear as mud if you have any questions E mail me.

Christmas Table topper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248438[/ATTACH]

Easter Table Topper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248439[/ATTACH]

Spring Table Topper
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248440[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248432.jpe   attachment-248433.jpe   attachment-248434.jpe