View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 06:45 AM
TanyaL

I am passing this information on from a friend to any who may be wanting or needing to make a quilt that is SUPER warm for this winter. My friend was thinking that in the hard economic times some may be sleeping in colder climes with their heat turned off. Here in Texas there are many sheep ranchers who have barns with wool fleece stored because it has cost more to sell the fleece than the market would pay for the fleece. Apparently my friend remembers her grandmother washing wool fleece, but not carding it or processing it in any other way, and using it as batting for quilts. She thinks the quilt top was probably made from pieces of old wool suits and the backing was flannel. The quilts were tied very closely. As a child she slept under these in a very drafty farmhouse with no heat and stayed toasty warm although water froze inside the house. Now that's a warm quilt!

If anyone wants to pass this info on to someone who is big into the "Back to the Green" movement, feel free. LOL I think we can personally pay for heat a little longer, but seriously, if someone thinks this idea would help them perhaps some help can be arranged in getting fleece , etc. It was 107 yesterday but who knows what winter will bring and many of our employed are not guaranteed their jobs. Oh, I sound like the trumpet of doom, but I just wanted to pass on the info and let you know I cared.