View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 AM
pittsburgpam

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and thoughts. I love my sister and she is free to do what she wants, of course. I am sorry that she isn't being more careful considering what she's gone through. But I suppose that she wouldn't have gone through a lot of it if she had been. I really will not be surprised if they are asking for money in short order as she knows what everyone received. It is one thing if there were circumstances beyond their control and needed help. Quite another to spend everything they have on things like a Mercedes and a week at the lake. I will be saying No. Everything is going into my retirement accounts and CDs so it won't be very liquid anyway.

We have seen little of them, they haven't come to the house at all to get anything that they want. My brother called for weeks leaving messages but never a response until he told her he had a cashier's check. Then, when he went to her house to give it to her, she and her family were asking why my son got the muscle car that was my parents'. Her kids wanted it. He told her that the car needs work and my son is able to do it. None of her kids are working and wouldn't be able to. My son adores that car, as any 23 year old young man would. He will treasure it and to show how much he called me the next morning after picking it up to tell me that he woke up and thought it was all a dream that it was really his. He was offered a brand new pickup in exchange for it and declined.

As my brother said, "someone needs a course in money management" but you can't make them do anything.