Old 08-29-2011, 10:00 AM
QuiltMania

Originally Posted by BuzzinBumble
My husband's dear aunt had this little beauty tucked away and recently asked if anyone in the family was interested. My hubby and his sisters all said "No thank you." :shock:
I told DH to correct that impression before his aunt gave it away to the local historical society. Our two girls were very interested indeed! They both value ties to the past and our eldest, Bean, did not have a sewing machine. Turned out Bean was VERY excited about this.

So yesterday my two sweet SILs brought the Sew-EZ to our house. Even though the machine is in great condition, I hardly know what to do next. My one SIL was a home-ec teacher and she tested the machine and it works! She sewed two inches before stopping since the machine surely needs cleaning and oiling. The electrical cord is amazing for one that is close to 100 years old, but I cannot think it is safe.

Our Bean and her boyfriend are coming home for a visit this weekend. I don't know if I can get the machine shaped up in time, but it sure would be good for her to be able to take it home while they have a rental car. (Normally she flies, but her arms were too tired. :roll: )

There is hardly any information about this machine out on the internet. So I am sending out an SOS to all you vintage machine enthusiasts and am hoping you can point me in the right direction. Ours has no manual, or accessories, except 2 bobbins. And I am very leery about the power cord, but don't know how to replace it. We don't know for sure even what model this is, but it has two spool posts and only does a straight stitch. Meanwhile, I have been pouring over Billy's tutorial about how to take apart and clean your vintage machine. Not sure I have have the guts to do the "Taking apart" part of that!

Here is what little I found on the internet:
The Western Electric sewing machine was not made by Western Electric, but by the National Sewing Machine Company, Belvedere, Ill., which put Western Electric decals on one of their models.
The electric motor, however, was produced by Western Electric. Production lasted only a few years; the machine disappeared from the market by 1918.
I also found a number of amusing vintage advertisements about this machine.
Ours does not have a vibrating shuttle, but a bobbin case and bobbins. It came in a beautiful, curved quarter sawn oak case.
Here are a lot of pictures. Thanks for looking!
Send a PM to Billy (Lostn51). He is the resident expert on old machines.