View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
JKMom

Remember: Do what makes you happy -- after all, you're the one spending all the time and effort making the quilt.

For what it's worth, I am terrible at matching colors. I'll pick what I think will work, and I make a test block, and it's terrible -- really boring or clashes or something.

Fortunately, God gave me a talented artist for a daughter. She helps me tremendously.

My daughter does not quilt, but she sews. This year her 4-H project included a patchwork vest of her own design. I did not like it. I thought it would not do well in contest. I thought I needed to let her know so she could reconsider her project.

She was so upset that she cried.

So we called in a good friend who is also an artist. My friend loved the vest. (When the blouse and capri pants were added, I loved the finished outfit!)

Make a long story short: My daughter won first at county, first at district, and 5th at state. (That's saying a lot when you compete in a large state like Texas.)

The moral of this story is:

Create what makes you happy.
Ask for help if you have trouble.
Be happy with what you make.
Keep your mouth shut if someone creates something you don't particularly care for -- it may just be that you are the one that has faulty vision.