Old 08-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Mitch's mom

I have
Needles: John James package sizes 3 through 9
Thread: Aurifil 40wt
Beeswax
Wool Batting
Q snap 11 x 17 lap frame
Thimbles: John James metal with the ridge on the top and a Comfort Thimble (It smells and my needle gets stuck in it )

I ironed 2 fat quarters, cut a piece of batting, traced a stencil on the top fabric, basted it all together, put it in the frame. It seemed too tight so I tried to loosen it a bit. I got an instant manicure trying to remove the clips from the frame. OK. Operator error obviously - since there are no instructions with the frame - the manufacturer must feel it is idiot proof. I arranged the fabric looser, put the clips back on, the fabric pretty much went right back where it was originally. Fine.

I managed to get my needle threaded! I watched 3 different videos to figure out how to make a quilters knot by wrapping the thread around the needle. It looks easy enough. Not for this simpleton. I wound the thread around my finger and made a
knot.

I know enough to start in the middle, I started off to the side a bit to hide my knot and brought the needle up through the fabric. I put the needle down through the fabric, stabbed my finger, pulled the needle out, stopped the bleeding, tried again. I got the needle down with no more bloodshed, using the thimble I tried to do the "rocking" to get a couple stitches on the needle. No joy - the fabric is still too tight. I tried to loosen it again. The frame fell apart. I totally suck at this and I am light headed from blood loss. Why is this so darned difficult?!