View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 06:57 PM
malfromcessnock

Great tutorial - a lot of work in preparing I imagine.

I went to a craft show the other week and saw a different method being used. They were "selling" a foot with a cut off toe so the needle was very close to the front edge of the clear plastic foot.

The demonstrated idea seemed very simple indeed, but I wonder how difficult it would be not to stetch the top fabric.

What they did was (without any pins) line up the two pieces at the beginning of the curve and then pin it with needle down. Then proceeded to sew the seam by lifting the top fabric with your left hand (the advantage of the short foot) so you could clearly see the point of the needle entering the fabrics. Then with that left hand steer the top fabric so it matched the edge of the bottom fabric as it went under the presser foot at the needle insertion point. All the time, steering the bottom fabric with the right hand until the end of the seam was reached.

This method achieved a perfect result by the demonstrator but I wonder if the left hand stretched the top fabric the bottom would be shy of top when the end of the seam was reached.

Must give this some practise.

Have you heard of this method before? If it works without stretching the top fabric it would be much easier than pinning.