View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 06:42 AM
doowopddbop
Banned

What would you do with a couple of hours in Iowa? Look for Barn Quilts, of course!

What's a "barn quilt"?? A large quilt block painted on the side of a barn, shed, or corn crib. I won 2nd place in a barn quilt design contest this summer, but I have never actually seen a Barn Quilt in person! According to one source, there are over 580 Barn Quilts in Iowa. Barn Quilt Mecca...

And where are these barn quilts? Apparently further away than the measly couple of hours we had before our flight to go looking for them. But my husband is a good sport, so we rented a car, (he is very well trained) and headed out on our quest to see a Barn Quilt.

Finally found one near Pella, Iowa; a beautiful little Dutch Town surrounded by corn fields!

(Bought some fresh-picked corn from a roadside stand, smuggled it home in my suitcase, then fixed it for supper! Oh, my tastebuds! That was some of the best, sweetest, freshest, corn ever to cross my lips!!)

So... one down, 579 more barn quilts to see in Iowa alone!

Then I learned that Fons & Porters' headquarters is about an hour away from Des Moines...I have GOT to find my way back to beautiful Ioway!

Corn Fields
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248957[/ATTACH]

Corn in Fields
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248958[/ATTACH]

Fields of Corn
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248959[/ATTACH]

Farms with corn fields
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248960[/ATTACH]

Barns
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248962[/ATTACH]

This one needed a Barn Quilt...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248963[/ATTACH]

And finally!! A real, live, actual BARN QUILT!! A beautiful Lone Star
[ATTACH=CONFIG]248964[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-248951.jpe   attachment-248952.jpe   attachment-248953.jpe   attachment-248954.jpe   attachment-248956.jpe  

attachment-248957.jpe   attachment-248958.jpe