View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
darlak

I'm convinced that it is my speed--when I receive inconsistent results in my free-motion quilting. Yesterday, I was practicing on my new frame so was working on a 2-yard size quilt sandwich. There was no purpose to this, except to practice on my new set-up and make sure I am comfortable with it before loading a real quilt top. I could easily see that when I stitched too fast, my tension wasn't perfect. If I stitched too slow, my tension wasn't good. When I stitched just right, my tenson was perfect. I was amazed. I have a quilter's cruise control and it hasn't entirely eliminated my problem because, when I get going, I can sew too fast for the cruise control to keep up. I suggest that you listen to your machine while you are quilting--mine seems to make a good 'humming' sound when its at a good speed--kind of like its in the zone with me.

With a new project, I ALWAYS do a test sample to make sure the needle, thread, and quilt sandwich are working well together. With those issues addressed BEFORE I start quilting, I know that its my technique that's the problem.

Each session, before quilting on my quilt top, I do a practice piece--a fat quarter sandwich practice piece before beginning maching quilting. This gets my mind and fingers all working together. I'm not getting the kinks out on my quilt top. I learned this habit when I was hand-quilting a queen size quilt. When I first started each session, I was always unhappy with the result; like I need to get warmed up first.

Wondering what to do with all of those quilted test samples? I use mine for making small, zipper bags like those in Mary Mulari's "Made for Travel" book. I give them to all my friends and they love them. SLOW DOWN and enjoy the smooth, meditative process of free-motion quilting.

I hope you find this helpful. Happy quilting!
Darla