View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by onthelake
I'm a newbie in quilting so listen to the wise statements of others over mine .
:thumbup: And, yet, you gave perfect advise!

As there is no way to neatly add 1/4" to the block, trimming the sashing strips would be the easiest option (and will work in most instances).
And 1/4" off the block isn't going to make any difference in the proportions of the block to the sashing.

I'm not familiar with the pattern, so I can't discern if it's a log cabin block or not.
Generally, those are very forgiving blocks to trim down.
No points to chop off, and the logs are usually big enough not to distort when losing an 1/8".

Of course, if they're 1/4" logs, that's another story. ;-)

But those aren't generally made with sashing so I'm thinking it's maybe a cabin quilt - as in a house pattern.
Again, I don't think you'd have any points at the edges either, so it would also trim down easily.

But a couple of questions
Did you cut all the sashing strips already?
Does the sashing layout include cornerstones? or are the horizontal sashings one long piece?

The reason I ask is because if there are cornerstones, then by trimming all the sort sashing strips to 10.5", you'd be fine.
The cornerstones don't need to be trimmed.

However, if you're using long horizontal sashings, they would also need to be trimmed as well.

I would wait until you've sewn the blocks into rows, and then measure to come up with the length for the longer strips.
Even if the rows vary a 1/4" here and there, come up with an average.

When you sew the row to the sashing, do it the same way you would sew on borders - find the middle of both and pin, the same for the quarterway and ends.
More pinning wouldn't hurt. That way the strip will be evenly distributed across the width of the quilt.

Please post pictures when you're done.