Thread: marking quilts
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
julie

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all your helpful hints. Thought you all might like to know what is going on.I washed the quilt in cold water, and while the marks faded, they didn't disappear. So I went out on the net as Patrice suggested, and discovered many different ways to remove pencil markings. One that I tried was simply baby wipes. They seemed to help a little, but not enough. There was another mixture using rubbing alcohol, water, and clear dish soap. Because of illness, I haven't had a chance to try that one yet, and I'm not sure I'm going to. I've decided to put a positive spin on this. I will finish the quilting, then hang it on my sewing room wall. It will serve as a reminder to me to test fabric and markers first before jumping in needle first. I should tell you, this was a kit that was sold at a well-known bookstore a few years ago. As a non-quilter, I thought this would be a good way to learn, so I bought it. Silly me. The directions were practically incomprehensible for a newbie, thank goodness for other books and classes. Neither the fabric or the thread that came with it are of the highest quality. Even though I washed the quilt in cold water, the red thread color ran. So now on the backing I have this interesting design around the thread! Lesson learned, from now on no marking til I am absolutely sure what I want. Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help and advice.