Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 AM
Cathe

I invested the last 30 years in raising my family, and now I am a full-time wife. So I had better never end up in a nursing home! :lol:

There are many different ways you can serve in your community. I think it's important to serve locally first. Your pastor probably knows of the most needy. If you aren't a member of a church, ask at a local thrift shop. Most of those are tied into charitable organizations. In addition to financial needs, there are "time" needs (visiting with the elderly in the nursing homes, for example).

Women and children in shelters often need EVERYTHING. I am a pretty good shopper/couponer, so I can get things for free and donate them - shampoo, toothpaste, deodorant, shavers, feminine hygiene products... it's all needed. I don't have money to donate, but I do have the time to do that.

If you have a job where you make good money, perhap you can work some extra money and donate that portion of your pay. Our family doctor does that. He serves on the board for our local crisis pregnancy center, but he says that he can best serve the needs of the community by giving money. So he works at the hospital one extra day each week and donates that income.

As for sewing...

A group that I belonged to in Missouri made nursing home quilts. Obviously, these were not a financial gift, but they said: "We care about you" - and that need is so real. We used polyester doubleknits in bright cheerful colors, and tied or machine quilted them. We put ties on two corners, so they could be tied to the sides of the wheelchair and not fall to the floor. You have to make them a certain size, so they don't get in the way of the wheels.

I know the doubleknits sound icky, but they are great for this purpose. Those quilts have to withstand frequent laundering in hot water, to keep them sanitary. The bright colors are a blessing to failing eyes.

A lady in our church makes doll clothes for the thrift store. They get a lot of donations of naked dolls, and she makes clothing for them. :lol:

About other quilt donation projects - all of them say "I care", no matter who you are sewing for: soldiers, widows, orphans, infants, sick children... those are all good things to do. In this time, I personally prefer to try to benefit those who are in financial need. One opportunity is donating a quilt for an organization to raffle off, auction or sell. If you are interested in building a career in sewing, this is a very good thing to do because you get publicity (unless you prefer to do good deeds anonymously). I do prefer to do good deeds anonymously, but this is one place where I would take advantage of the publicity.

I am considering expanding my teaching career (quiltmaking, not children) in some different directions, including ministry. I have done several workshops for church groups, and they have always hired a separate speaker, but I would like to do that teaching too. (Yes, I could do that.) So that would serve others and I would be paid, too. :)

I also want to offer basic sewing/mending classes in the low-income part of town and at the women's shelter. Sewing machines and other tools would be a problem, though. I would have to see if I could get donations. I am good at fixing up old machines, but we all know how expensive sewing can be...