Old 09-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Monika

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Originally Posted by Selena
Yes, I did try to justify it. That's my point, why did I feel the need to? He said I could have it if I wanted it. I bought it used and paid cash. It didn't put us in a bind until he lost his job 2 weeks later which no one could have foreseen. I have wanted to quilt for over 30 years and was busy.... He can't help that he doesn't get it.
I think it comes back to women tend to put the family first, and feel guilty when we do something for ourselves. Maybe it's ingrained into our DNA. I don't know. I feel guilty when I splurge on myself, like I shouldn't spend money just for me. One part of me feels like, "hey, I work, it's my money too. I can spend some the way I want to." and the other side is saying "yes, but we have to save for an emergency, retirement, what if one of us loses our job? we have to prepared."
So true.....it is ingrained in us. Sometimes we set ourselves up by voicing it. Men tend to not be subtle. If I set it up as maybe it could "pay for itself' my hubby would think I was looking for that because that is what I said!