View Single Post
Old 09-01-2011, 06:07 AM
AliKat

Originally Posted by Quilting Angel
I am just beginning applique, and I am learning on my own. I just finished a Halloween wallhanging that I did a blanket stitch in black on all the appliques. I think I learned from that, that black looks great, but not the color to use on everything. The question for now is: You know you place applique pieces in a certain order, well on the first wallhanging I done, I placed all of my pieces and then I did the stitching. Is it easier to stitch as you go even though parts of the pieces will be covered by other pieces? And what is the trick to keeping your stitches even and going around all those curves? Is that another practice, practice, practice thing? Thanks in advance for your help.
It would depend on how big the pieces are and how much of one applique is under another. If there is a lot of material on the underneath, then I'd use at least a wobble [small and long zigazag stitch]. I tend to cut away anything that is too large underneath so this isn't a problem.

I do each part separately as it provides a definite design line ... sorta like outline when we drew with our crayons as kids.

I do use a glue stick to put down my pieces. I go slowly and reposition my needle fairly often especially on curves.

Yep, it is P, P, P ... P=practice.

Have fun.

ali