View Single Post
Old 06-21-2009, 06:40 AM
june6995

Oh, my! How sad! I don't understand men who retire and can find nothing to do to continue to be productive people. Do they really mean to "sit and rot?" I hope not!

My husband is 78. At age 70 he fell off scaffolding and broke a lot of bones, including 3 places in his pelvis. This man made a remarkable recovery (the Dr asked what he did) because he has kept active. He has worked with Habitat for Humanity for 20 years where he led crews and taught people about house construction. He attend several of the Jimmy Carter Work camps, having breakfast with Jimmy on one occasion. He was also adopted into an Indian tribe in S.D. He is never home. He works/volunteers at a Senior Center, driving people to appointments. He has served Meals on Wheels. He has something planned for every day.

Saturday he left for N.C. (9 hour drive) to help his 83 yr old brother celebrate his Birthday. He goes and goes like the Energizer Bunny.

If I need something done, it gets done pronto (most often) and for 22 months he spent finishing our basement so I could have a sewing room.

Men don't need to ROT! If they choose to rot, they need to have a good swift kick in the pants. WHY would any healthy person want to sit around the house all day and do nothing? That is not healthy! That seems to indicate they are depressed because they think their productive years have ended. That is not so. And, take a look at Jimmy Carter and Roselyn. They both get out and do the physical labor. They are in their 80's.

I know you won't like this, but I say "Shame on any man who has nothing better to do than sit and read the paper to his wife or watch her cook."

Take him to the Doctor and find out why he has lost his Zest for Life. There must be something wrong.

Married life was not meant to be a DRAG on the tail end....and it does seem like the "tail" is dragging. You have my Sympathy! My husband said this past year was the BEST of his life. He was Busy and Happy!
Can't ask for more than that!

THE END.