Old 06-21-2009, 10:15 AM
gaigai
Banned

Originally Posted by k3n
OK my number is 0033 555 ???????? LOL not tellin! I'm scared! A good friend in England was a nurse and she was a real p in the a if you had a pain somewhere 'get it checked out asap, na na na...'. BUT if SHE was sick - NIGHTMARE!!!

Hans and I were watching a programme last night where a British paramedic had to have an op on her knee and INSISTED on a local NOT a general so she could 'supervise' the surgeon! :D

Well, I'm kinda the opposite there. Usually I say it's no big deal, all bleeding stops eventually! :mrgreen: In fact I told my sisters that if they EVER took their kids to an emergency room for Fever, Vomiting, or Diarrhea, that I would personally bitch-slap them into the next county!

When I had a bad car wreck in January, I didn't go to the ER, I just went to my doc (saw a Nurse Practitioner), refused all xrays and just wanted a couple of days of pain meds! LOL

But, when I had knee surgery, and the surgeon and anesthesiologist couldn't agree on whether I should have a nerve block or a pain-ball, I demanded both.

The anesthesiologist came in pre-op while the nurse was starting my IV. He and I had been working together for a while, so we were good buds. Anyhow, when the nurse blew the vein, he grabbed my hand to start the IV himself, and asked the nurse for some lidocaine to numb it before the stick. I told him to just go ahead and stick, I wasn't afraid of needles, and lidocaine BURNS! THEN, he started telling me about the nerve block. (I had never had one of those!) and that he would be injecting me in my GROIN! Oh the Horror! I looked at him and said "You WILL put me to sleep FIRST, won't you?" When he looked perplexed, because, evidently they don't usually, and asked why, I told him "Well, I don't know about YOUR groin, but that is a VERY sensitive area for ME! Please, please, I can't be awake for that one!" He just laughed. But he did!