View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Dee G

Prism, I appreciate your tips. Thank you for sharing.
Originally Posted by Prism99
There are a lot of threads on this topic. Try using the "search" option above to find them.

My tips are as follows:

Spend the money on 505 -- works better than other brands and does not stink up the area. Whatever you use, plan on having great ventilation. Some people do it outside!

Primarily cotton batting adheres best, but many people use poly battings successfully. (I use cotton almost exclusively.)

I heavily starch the backing fabric before layering. (This can be a problem if you are using poly batting, as it can reduce adhesion.) Heavy starch on backing and top reduces puckering because it stabilizes the fabric. (Actually, this tip applies to any type of basting for machine quilting. Would not do it if hand quilting.)

Lay out the largest flat sheet you have to catch any overspray.

Layer backing first, then batting. Once batting is centered on backing, fold back top half of batting, spray that half, then smooth back into place. Repeat with other half of batting. This is *much* easier than spraying the whole thing first and then trying to center the batting.

I do the same thing with the top.

Spray from edge towards center to minimize overspray.

Some people do the spray basting on their bed. So far I have preferred using very large tables (in a community center), clamping the backing fabric to the table to ensure smoothness (but not tight).