View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 08:22 AM
irishrose

You can pick it out carefully. It won't show unless your needle was dull. The holes will steam out or wash out.

Did you make some practice sandwiches? I know it's not the same as a big quilt, but it will help you learn to sew backwards - my biggest hangup. Once I relaxed and let the machine sew backwards, things became easier.

Find a slightly rough surface like fine sandpaper and lightly trace swirls and loops with your writing finger. It will help train your brain to do what you want. Instructions will say use a dry erase board or paper, but the sandpaper will imprint your brain better.

Don't be hard on yourself, please. I am a new FMQer, too. Relax and enjoy each small area, then move on. Personally, I prefer less quilting. My quilts are for my family, mostly, and they are have been thrilled with them. No one has looked for imperfections. All that being said, I have to do some today in plain, unpatterned blocks. I am scared because there's no pattern or color to hide behind. I am thinking of appliquing something there so I don't have to do it. We need to be brave together.