Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 AM
eparys

I have been playing with Cathedral Windows. This is my first attempt at trying these. Below is a WIP. I have a dear friend who loves these and decided to make her two Christmas pillows for her sofa. So my dilemma is . . . how to actually finish it. I have deliberately left the outside edge unfinished at this time. Here are a couple of options that I am thinking about:

1. I thought about adding a “flange” and sewing it to the backside where the outside points will be folded. Then, fold the points in and add my contrasting fabric at the edge and do the window. This will give me fabric to attach either a binding or ruffle and the back piece to. Without lots of bulk at the points on the edge.

2. I could use the unfolded points (as seen on the top of my piece) and just attach the backing to them. They would end up inside the pillow and not be seen in this case. I am thinking that this might look odd in the finished project

3. I could add another row of folded pieces, add the fabric, do the window edge and “cut or trim ” them to size. I am thinking that this would be much more bulky with all the folded fabric.

Has anyone done anything like this with cathedral windows? How did you finish it?
Attached Thumbnails attachment-16005.jpe