Old 09-03-2011, 03:53 PM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
Miriam, my son helped me make a large ironing table. Used 1/2" plywood, covered with many layers of thick cotton batting/felt (whatever it was, it was cheap). Wrapped the cotton under the wood and stapled in place, then used safety pins to attach unbleached muslin on top to use as a ironing surface. Have not had any issues with moisture or mold, etc. I use steam on everything.

You could make a layered pad the size you need, attach some string ties to it and tie it to the table to secure it. That way you could remove it when done. Although I like the marine snap idea.

I'm not sure where it would tie. The front has no lip. Might need access to the drawer. The sides have the braces to hold the part that drops. I'm thinking some of that quilted Teflon for the top. Then some upholstery fabric for the bottom and the pocket that would fit around the drop part. Then make it big enough to cover the rest of the table. It could have marine snaps in the front to hold it in place. I'm thinking about a hole for the machine. Then make a plug for the hole for when the machine is down. I hate to shift the quilt around any more than I have to when I have to iron a big one. The other idea is to just make the pocket and cover to slide over just the drop part - it is still good sized. The pad could be used extended or flopped over the top. OOPS that won't work if it has a pocket holding it on will it - it won't fold down. I'm liking the marine snap idea a bunch... just have to figure out where to put them. They can't go on the drop part - both sides get used. They could go under the top part that the machine rests in.