Old 09-04-2011, 08:52 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Hi All, I've been away from here a long time... My interests go back and forth between quilting and knitting. I am so sorry to hear of Billy's health problems and will add my prayers to the heap.

I have a question regarding the treadle in my avatar. I am using the old leather belt that it came with. More and more I notice the belt slipping. I'm sure the machine sat up for decades before I bought it and now that I'm using it the belt may be too dry or something? It is not cracked anywhere. It's hard to get the wheel to 'catch' and start sewing... Can I just shorten this belt or would it be wiser to change the belt? Any wisdom on this would be appreciated.
Open the clip on it and snip off an inch or so...make another hole for the clip in the "new" end and you should be good to go!

Also instead of using the clip again, which can be a pain in the b#tt, just sew the belt together with dental floss. Sharon, Purplefiend, gave that as heads up here once. I gave it a try and now that is the only way a keep my leather belt attached.
Makes life much easier!!