Thread: power back on!
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 PM
mpspeedy

Hi, Glad you finally got your power back. I moved into the rural outskirts of Baltimore when I married 34 years ago. The first time we were without power was a real eye opener. We had a lot of outages here in Maryland. I was very fortuneate, just the week before the storm the local power company had been trimming trees in our area. Many of our local roads were closed because of fallen trees and wires. We had no power outages in our immediate area but many were not so lucky. Our grown children all live at least an hour or more from us in 4 different directions but still in Maryland. The youngest boy and both girls were without power for at least 5 or 6 days. Our youngest daughter at least lives where there is municipal water. She had water but no power. The other two, like us rely on wells. One has an in ground swimming pool so at least he could get in some water and had a supply handy for flushing toliets etc. His elder sister had to go and visit our eldest son to make use of his shower etc.
Many of the schools in our area where not able to open this past week because there was no power to the school or else the community around them was in the dark.
Without power we decend into the "dark ages". I can't cook, use any electronic devices or flush my toliet under those circumstances. At least it wasn't the dead of winter. I actually would have at less of a problem since I have a wood stove and the heat from candles or laterns would also have been welcome.