View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Rebecca VLQ

Originally Posted by jeaninmaine
Could someone explain to a new gardener ( garden came with the house) how to divide them and what was meant by letting them dry out. Also what do you mean by pulling the leaves?

Do I do the same with Iris.. When do I plant crocus & daffodils and myrtle.
What happens with iris, daylillies, anything like that is they grow more roots, bulbs, corms, whatever they "use" underground over the years to spread. It looks like one big bulby root ball, all connected together. Where you separate the bundle into smaller bundles, you're going to cut or break away sections. That raw end can get mushy if you just put it back in the ground. It's gotta heal itself a little bit so the moisture from the plant isn't weeping out. Some plants are more tolerant than others, I just let each type air out a little.

Irises, you just dig up and send the surplus to ME!!! :D :D :D

Any of those early flowering things like crocus, tulip, daffodil can be planted in the fall for spring blooms. If something happens where you don't get to it, you can store them in the fridge for a few weeks, by themselves, and then plant them early spring. They need that cold spell to bloom.

Happy gardening!