View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
jeaninmaine

Thanks Rebecca. These are weird Irises. The leaves aren't too high but the flowers are about 45 inches off the ground and they're a lot smaller flowers than the irises I'm used to seeing. But the hummingbirds and the bees loved them this spring. If you'd like some, I'd be happy to send some to you if I can figure out how.

It was funny because we weren't sure if they were a plant or a weed, my hubby wanted to pull them up but I figured let everything grow to see what it was. We have tall black eyed susans and shorter ones, the irises and a few coneflowers in that section. I'd like to plant some myrtle and crocus and other small flowering plant throughout the front yard which is mostly wild strawberries (which are great - no maintenance) with a little hay or something on the edges. I'd like to have it all flowers and wild strawberries, both my hubby and I are getting older and I don't want something that will have to be to mowed constantly or very vigorously maintained. we're thinking about throwing out a bunch of wildflower seeds and planting some real strawberries and a small veggie garden.