View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 04:10 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by quilter41
I never do anything to mine except cut them back in the Fall. This is the time of the year they start to die back. They will be fine.
You are right. You leave them alone, except for the division of the plants. I quarter mine at dividing time, keep one quarter, share the rest otherwise they will grow like crazy - note the day lilies on the sides of the road - they are huge.

There are early bloomers, mid-bloomers and late bloomers, so you can have them in bloom practically all summer long. I pick off the spent flowers (every day - they're day lilies and they last a day) and cut down the stem when all the flowers are spent. You don't want energy from the bulbs going anywhere else except the bulbs and the leaves. I cut them back in September when I divide them (if necessary). The leaves get a tad straggly and this way also you are centering the energy to the bulbs at this time. Yes, they do last forever. Have you ever gone to the compost area that the cities have and you see piles and piles of day lilies that are thrown out. Take a couple of little clumps and plant them and see what you get next spring. You may have a real sweetheart of a lily. I have one that blooms before the tulips, a deep yellow and is only about 2" across. It is my pride and joy! Got it from a neighbor who didn't realize what a little treasure she had. You can also sell them at neighborhood plant sales in the spring and fall. We have those here in our area. Boy there are a lot of lilies and Hostas. (I am not a hosta fan)!
Beautiful weather here this week, so our lilies are going to get a good cutting back now. Good gardening!!!!! Edie