View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 06:44 AM
CorneliaVa

Thanks for the illustration..... That makes it much clearer to me .....
When people mention "diamonds" I assume that it means a quadrangle with all four sides the same length -- like a square that has been squashed so that the opposite angles are both the same: 2 45-degrees and 2 135-degrees ..... just as you have illustrated .....

BUT, being new to quilting, I am learning that terms such as "diamond" and "star" and "eight-pointed" can all mean different things to different people ..... That's why I love this Board -- gives many viewpoints to ponder.

An 8-pointed star can have alternating long points and short points, or varying-length spikey-points, I suppose .....

I guess before I hop in to help, I should take all such things into consideration.......

If one uses the "parallelagram" half-square-triangle route, all four sides of the resulting shape are not the same length but it is still surely a "diamond" ......right? And it still turns out a pretty star ..... ....

And is the LeMoyne Star called something different if it is "on-point"?

The Jenny Beyer book I have checked out from our Library is a help .... but it is SO much to absorb ....

Originally Posted by eparys
Betty - I agree that is sounds as if it is The Lemoyne Star that you are looking for.

Are you are looking to applique this using Fusible web? or do you want to piece it? There are a few variations some use Diamonds and some use the parallelogram.

These measurements are NOT including any seam allowance - if you are piecing it - you would need to add them. For example, for a 12" block using the diamonds, you would draw a 2.5" by 6" rectangle. In that rectangle the diamond would be 3.5" on all sides.

If you need different measurements - PM me.