View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Maggiem

Originally Posted by Pickle
This is what bothers me about people and charity quilts. Is Wal Mart or Jo Ann's classed as fabric not good enough for charity quilts. Do you assume that if you send a quilt to a poor person who does not have a thing and has lost everything in a flood or fire would question the quality of the fabric?? I sometimes feel there is a little snobyness in quilting. It sounds do me that some people even say excuse me but I could only use Wal Mart fabric etc. They all turn out pretty no matter what the price, as long as it is neat ,clean and sewed from the heart.
I can see what you mean, but I think the question, for me at least, is why should a 'charity quilt' be synonymous with 'shoddy and thrown together from whatever'? From the discussions we've had on this topic here on the board, it is great to see that the vast majority of us make quilts to give to strangers, using the best of our knowledge, skills and resources.

I don't have much personal knowledge of Walmart's or Joann fabrics since I don't live in the US. I just feel that I want any quilt that leaves my home to be as good as it can be - not necessarily complicated, but warm, sturdy, cheerful, full of love and as pretty as possible.

Sorry for the rant, but I kind of cringe when I read an article that suggests I experiment with some new method and that if I don't like the result I can just give it to charity... No, I make winter beds for my felines with my 'experiments' and only give to others what I would want to receive!