View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:32 AM
Fixedgearhead

Sure,
I have sewn clothes ever since I learned to sew from my mother by pumping the treadle mechanism of an old Singer treadle sewing machine that she used to use. I guess I was about 3-4 years old. Just simple projects like hanker-chiefs, and such. Fast forward to a 20 something guy who needed to repair clothes and put on buttons. I bought a simple Singer electric and used it for a number of years. Then I decided to make some shirts and things for myself, and those turned out pretty good. When I got married, at about age 30, My new wife and I got involved with Civil War Re-enacting. I started to make the uniforms I would need and the gowns my wife would need in order to save some money. That led to making most of my and her clothes which is still happening. After I retired at a get 50, I needed to have some new hobbies to keep myself occupied. I don't play golf and I don't hang out in bars and drink, so I had a sewing machine and decided to start quilting. Therein lies the first seeds of the Terrible Obsession of quilting as it pertains to men, or myself if not all men. I was a carpenter and furniture maker, which are very exacting crafts, or should be, and the detail orientation that pertains to those skills transfer directly to quilting. If you are going to produce a good product, you have to pay attention to detail. I love the execution of precision placement of the different blocks so as to produce a well done project. That about says it as to why I quilt. And, like I tell some of the guys I know, "It keeps me out of the bars". Hope this helps you out.
John
John