View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:35 AM
ejpkam

My grandmother and great-grandmother and great-great grandmother and perhaps even more greats.. are and were expectional quilters. My great grandmother pieced and hand quilted but my grandmother did not enjoy peicing but loved handquilted and made a modest income taking in quilts she had to turn several people away because of the long waiting list of customers. Recently through a decline of health my grandmother could no longer sit at her frame nor struggle putting quilts in the frame so she had to retire with a heavy heart and now she keeps her hands busy with embroidery and as quilters usuallly are so giving people she gifts her embroidery work to us grandkids or kids (which I cherish any item made from her hands). With her bout of bad health her and my grandfather had to relocate and move in with my mother and sell their home and most of their possesions. But I was so so blessed this weekend my mother made the12 hour drive to see me and brought me a big box from grandmother marked "Quilting". Grandmother knowing I am the only one left in the family who loves quilting had packed all her quilting things and sent it to me and let me tell u it was soo emotional!! I found templates made from old cereal boxes from my great grandmother's time. I found vintage blocks started and quilt tops not yet quilted (which I will quilt), she sent me 36 spools of hand quilted threads and get this-----a 100 yards of white backing!!!! which can also be used in quilts as well and a roll of batting as well. I found old correspondent letters among my great great grandmothers things swapping quilt patterns from newspapers and magazines and the one thing that really makes me tear up is a homemade quilting frame that my grandmother quilted on for a good 50+ years... so many hours she spent doing her favorite thing. I know she has know idea what that all means to me and again it is "just stuff" but oh what a quilting legacy I have!!!