View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

Originally Posted by sandpat
Wow Cre....what a mess! How did you figure out the YLI was wound wrong??
The whole story - my Bernina was skipping on top when I started to quilt the first quilt for our guild show in Sept. This was last week in July right before Long Beach Show. I googled BSR foot skipped stitches and found lots of people complaining about this and it was due to the foot which has a computer chip needing updating. This happens sometimes with this machine when you bring your machine in for Bernina servicing and they update the computer chip in the machine without the foot so it's no longer compatible. The lady at the big show updated it in her booth for me. Before updating [which she did on a wonderful new 830!] my foot skipped - after fixed. Later at home I continued to work on the quilt and within a few days I had the whole center of it quilted - about 40x50 inches worth...

I showed lots of people they were wowed - then I looked at the back for the first time - :oops: :shock: :cry:
full of loops!! top didnt show any of this and I stupidly figured that since it was no longer skipping it would be fine!

took machine in - they serviced it, got it back five days later, still "unquilting" very carefully because I had used monofilament on the back and it had to be removed carefully even though the top stitch looped a bit. The bobbin was still real tight! :twisted:

I started to stitch about a square foot [dumb again!! never assume anything!!]
It looped again - not as much... but since the little piece of fabric was stitched ok - I once again figured it was good. but that was stitched with their thread!

machine back, they made adjustments in front of me, stitching looked fine - home and looped again!! So again I took the 45min drive in traffic to bring it in [nearest Bernina service person] That time I sewed in front of them. They made adjustments, they sewed, and realized it was intermittent.

They kept machine, had it for another two weeks - got it back the 20th of August. They called Bernina factory who had no clue because everything was adjusted properly. They kept stitching with my thread for nearly two weeks at this point. Tried another thread - worked fine. Put my thread on their 440 - crap loops!!! :idea: :?
They put my thread - what was left of it on their 830 - and their 830 looked like it was worth a nickel too! :idea: :roll:

The thread was a little mushy on the spool here and there indicating it hadn't been wound with even tension at the factory. If you pulled on it slowly on spindle it would jerk periodically. I found a King Tut by Superior that had similar color variegated. So I finished quilt with that.

It wasnt all YLI that's bad though - just need to be aware that an occasional spool even from a good company can be a lemon. My friend had the same problem with a giant spool of King Tut on her midarm.

WOW - such a simple question - I got to rambling again - filled up page??

Happy sewing... be sure to turn your machine work over from time to time!
Gus