View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 07:01 AM
omak

Originally Posted by kaykay
Okay my rule is never count horses LOL. I keep telling hubby not to count :) But since you asked with the new foals right now its 17 :shock: But I have about 5 horses for sale. It goes up and down a lot. Dang I should not have counted lmbo
As my dad was winding down his ranching experience, I was getting into mine, and we would spend a lot of time comparing notes.
We hadn't seen each other for a few months, so I was down to the coast visiting. Almost the first question I asked when we got done with all the "Howdy's! I love you's...."
"How many cow/calf units do you have now, Dad?"
He told me the number, and my mother, who was fixing lunch for all, turned from the counter and said, "Gene! You told me you had the herd pared down to under a hundred!"
While Dad sat there with a deer in the headlights look, I got a flash of genius!
"There are less than a hundred that are important, Mom. The rest just don't measure up!"
of course, we laughed and Dad was grateful that his troublesome daughter had finally come to be a useful partner!
Later, my mom told me: What??? He thinks I can't count cows, too??
Then, I really had to laugh... My mother was always my dad's good partner. Both dad and I had never considered that she wasn't all that shocked with how many cattle Dad did or did not have.