View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 01:06 PM
totosmom

Oh, yes, I'm a real devotee of those older machines. They are utterly reliable and last forever due to their metal construction. When plastic gears were introduced in the 80s, everything went downhill.

The Viking 6440 was my first vintage machine which I use for piecing blocks. It also has cams which create some lovely decorative stitches that I use on the bindings of my quilts. I will admit that I fell in love with its red color only to discover that these things can last a lifetime -- and then be repaired to last another one!

Then I started making Quilts of Valor with a group of friends. The Viking was too heavy to take each week, so I thought I'd get a Featherweight. I found them too expensive, so I invested in a 301 which is only a tad heavier but still quite manageable. She is always ready to sew a straight as an arrow 1/4" seam which is all I need when we meet. She's full sized too, so I'm looking forward to doing some FMQ on her sooner or later. She's not collector quality, but I love her nicks and scratches because I know she's been lovingly used.

For all the fancy pants stuff I have a newer Bernina which is reliable too but not at all portable.

Dorothy in PA
Attached Thumbnails attachment-252044.jpe   attachment-252045.jpe