View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Fixedgearhead

It has been my experience that if you pull that Rowenta apart, you will find the screws holding the water chamber are screwed into plastic. They start to pull out after while and the whole thing is toast. The older Rowenta's did not have that style of attachment and they screwed into metal. Stayed in place. I have an inexpensive Chinese made dry iron, no steam that will handle piecing all day, and never miss a beat. I rarely use it for anything other than a travel iron.Most of the domestic steam irons will not last the way they are made today, similar to Rowenta. I bit the bullet about 3 years ago and bought a very pricey Gravity Feed Steam Iron. It is like the ones you see in dry cleaners, or tailor shops, or professional seamstresses use. (Hint) there must be a reason they buy them, otherwise, why would they spend so much money. The one I have has very few parts, and every one of them is robust and owner serviceable, and available online. I have a closet full of irons that were recommended by people that I bought and that died under the daily use of quilting, and since I bought the gravity feed, I have never given the iron another thought. Just my experience. Yours may vary, of course.
John