View Single Post
Old 09-07-2011, 02:41 AM
lots2do

Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
Originally Posted by KyKat
I have five sisters, and for our reunion that is coming up in July, I decided to do each of them a quilt, with 6 different little sunbonnet sues, each different, one quilt a bunch of 6 baloons with Sues on them with each of our names, one a bouquet of 6 flowers with Sues in the center of each flower with each of our names, etc, you get the idea. I thought I would make a center panel with crayons, then do hand embroidery embelishments, then hand-quilt each one. Good idea, right? Well, I did the first, the baloon bouquet, and it was as cute as it could be. 6 different colored baloons, 6 different little Sues, the strings tied with a big bow. And I did everything right . . .
Cotton fabric - check
Washed - check
Dried with no fabric softner - check
Ironed freezer paper to back - check
traced design on front and colored in with crayolas - check
Paper towels on ironing board - check
panel face down on paper towels, iron set on "cotton", heat set all work - check

then I decided to wash it again before I did all the other work - embroidery, etc. and !!! Gone! All of it --- washed away!!! What happened??? Any ideas?
I have made 3 large crayon quilts for grtgrndkids... I used both fabric and crayola and prefered crayloa... fabric crayons not enough selection of different colors... I first traced picture useing light box with pencil... I then used a pad..a doubled piece of material like a pillowcase or your ironing board then colored..smooth coloring...used wax paper or copy paper to lift wax off of picture...then I used sandpaper under picture and I colored at least 3 times ironing with copy or wax paper.. The sandpaper helps put the layers on without tireing your hands so much... At least 3 coats of color and sometimes more the more layers the brighter the color.. I did use a fabric medium to cover and protect blocks.. I WOULD NEVER WASH BEFORE.... I did do a test block and washed it without medium it faded some but was still bright... but nothing like the medium protected one. with Med. applied it still has to lay flat for 7 to 9 days something like that.. Oh I forgot I put copy paper under block face up then paper on top then I PRESSED the hot iron on block..Don't know if this made a difference or not..
I don't know what the freezer paper is for???? didn't need it.. I taped my block down on my sewing table to keep it from moving and the sandpaper made extra sure it didn't move..
This technic worked for me..all 3 quilts are still bright.
So sorry you had problems. Crayon quilts are really beautiful when done I want to make myself one.. Good Luck Here is the link to my Grtgrndsons sports quilt with Medium applied...
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-17348-1.htm
BillsBonBon
I use the freezer paper to stabilize the fabric so it doesn't shift around while it's being colored.