Old 09-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Charlee

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor
Looking for information please--A friend bought this Singer 201 Centenial machine at a Salvation Army auction for $5.00. Inside was the owners information, personal address book, etc. When the friend got to looking at the names in the book, he recognized that it was a high society list of the important people in Ft Worth Texas in the mid 1950's. How fun!!
They have never seen a cabinet like this, and wondered if it is unusual or if it had a "style" name, Really anything on it.
Thanks,

Texas Jan
Jan, it's Singer's #42 cabinet. Not rare. ISMACS website describes it as:

Finished in handsomely grained woods that reflects good taste in keeping with other fine furniture, this modern sewing cabinet also serves as a writing desk of unusual beauty. Four, spacious, dust-proof drawers provide ample room for all sewing accessories, stationery and correspondence. The top right drawer contains a spool rack and an oil can holder. The roomy drawer at the left has a built-in ink well and pencil tray.

Comfortable handling of bulky material is afforded by the large extension leaf

Nice machine! I have it's sister! :) (Not the cabinet tho, I'm still looking for a nicer one that what mine came in!)