View Single Post
Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
blahel

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by motomom
Maria, the stabs just don't look as good from the back. I had to learn this lesson the hard way from my elderly Aunt who showed me how to quilt. We had to get a flashlight and crawl underneath the frame for her to show me.

If you will loosen the fabric up in the frame, and not keep it so tight, you will probably understand the rocking thing better. Use your underhand to help you to get the fabric "folded" up onto the needle.

The fabric doesn't have to be nearly as tight in the frame as for embroidery. Think of the frame as just holding the quilt for you.

I found this lady's method to be extremely helpful! www.thimblelady.com

Hope this helps, and let us know of your progress.
Yes thimblelady has a great book and CD out which you can buy on her website called perfect handquilting without pain. It is step by step and with very detailed instructions. She also has a special thimble out for using her technique and if it is perfect stitches you are after look no further as she is an award winning quilter. I bought her book at a recent craft fair that i went to and am so looking forward to trying her techniques once i get my quilt to that stage.