Old 09-07-2011, 05:11 PM
wildyard

Originally Posted by ssnare
What does puddling mean? Also, when you piece one side to center or to a block, do you sew through the backing? On fleece, how far apart do you need to quilt?
I will answer your second question first. Review part 3 and see where it explains about sewing thru the 3 layers. So yes, you are sewing thru the backing each time.

Puddling just means making a smaller smoothe area of your fabric layers around your needle where you are sewing, rather than trying to keep the whole thing laying out flat and smoothe.
I generally try to work with about a 12" smoothe area.

On fleece, there is no set area to worry about with your quilting. There is no batting to secure and keep from bunching or shifting. So it is up to you how much or little you want to do. You could just outline the blocks, even if there were only 12 of them, if you so desired.
Personally I like to use the quarter inch outline of my block areas so they also show on the backing and give it some design also.

showing how I do the quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253007[/ATTACH]

more of my style of quilting
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253008[/ATTACH]

back of another quilt showing the pattern
[ATTACH=CONFIG]253010[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-253001.jpe   attachment-253002.jpe   attachment-253004.jpe